There is no alternate -- you must put the name & password in the file.
If this is a significant problem for your organization, then I'd
suggest that you write the code to handle encrypted passwords in
settings.xml and contribute it back to the Maven development effort.

You're not the only person who has been unhappy with this limitation.
But in my opinion, the file system security on that file should
prevent just about anyone from accessing it except the proper user,
right? So is this really a problem, or just a general "best practices"
argument about not storing passwords in plaintext?

And yes, the settings.xml file should be located in ~/.m2/, as
specified in the Mergere Maven book in section 2.1.

Wayne