Thanks, Ben. Perhaps I misspoke. From my MAVEN_HOME/conf/settings.xml file:

| This is the configuration file for Maven. It can be specified at two levels:
|
|  1. User Level. This settings.xml file provides configuration for a
single user,
|                 and is normally provided in $HOME/.m2/settings.xml.
|
|  2. Global Level. This settings.xml file provides configuration for all maven
|                 users on a machine (assuming they're all using the same maven
|                 installation). It's normally provided in
|                 ${maven.home}/conf/settings.xml.

So it would appear that both of those locations are "valid". I
personally have never used the MAVEN_HOME/conf file location.

But if Francois had the same exact file in MAVEN_HOME/conf, with the
proxy defined etc, and it wasn't being picked up until he copied it to
~/.m2/, then I don't know what's going on with his machine.

Wayne