One suggestion would be to use an app server that allows instancing of webapps.

We run Oracle App Server, and each webapp is deployed to its own OC4J
instance. Each OC4J instance has its own full directory structure
which allows us to copy things like log4j.properties files and other
configuration files into specific webapp directories. So webapp1 has
its own webapp1/shared/classes type directory and webapp2 has
webapp2/shared/classes. They run in completely separated memory so
there is no issue of one app accessing the other's log4 configuration
file.

In Tomcat, you could do this too, but you'd be to run individual
Tomcat instances for each webapp.

This would allow you to maintain a single "build" of your code with
different configurations for each deployment.

Wayne

Sorry - about the repost, but my 10 month old daughter has taught me
that the crying wheel gets fed . . . or something like that.

Let's say I am working on a web application.

This application is a maven project configured as a war.  During its
lifecycle this application will be deployed on:

- developer workstations
- testing environment
- production environment

This project has a dependency on log4j.

At runtime, my application code is configured to pull properties files
with configuration information from a well-known JNDI location.  The
prop file will include environment specific settings.  At deployment
time, the engineer responsible for generating the war will, if
necessary, also update the prop file (or individual properties) in the
JNDI tree.

log4j however, looks for its configuration file on the classpath at
application initialization.  Although you can configure log4j
programmatically, that probably isn't a great idea.  log4j is configured
differently for each target environment. E.g. Developers will change
settings based on what they are currently working on, the testing
environment is set to DEBUG while production is set to WARN.

I don't want to filter the log4j configuration file when I package the
artifact.  Doing so would place environment specific settings in the
archive, compromising its value.  I can't use JNDI to configure log4j.
So that seems to leave "adding it to the classpath" as the only viable
option.  Our app servers are tomcat 5.x.  Although I have the option to
drop the log4 files in <TomcatRoot>/shared/classes, that is the nuclear
bomb of config.  Doing so may impact other web applications, if they
don't have their own version of the resource locally.  Moreover, it can
only be done for a single application - I can't have two different
log4j.properties files in the shared/classes dir.

So now I have to alter the exploded web application directory after it
is installed and add the log4j.properties file.

That seems like a great deal of work and a kludge . . . what am I
missing here?

EXTERNAL CONFIGURATION OF AN ARTIFACT AND DEPENDENCIES

Sorry for belaboring this point - but I tend to think better in concrete
terms.  Let me walk through a scenario just to make sure I understand
this.

[...]

BTW - My father's family is from Galicia, with a lot of them living in a
coruna.  My parents have been a few times and have loved each and every
trip.  I hope to visit with my wife and daughter soon, and see a bit of
the "old country" ;)

Carlos