Hi.
What I'm looking for is a way to generate or manipulate the MANIFEST.MF
such that it contains values from the POM, like version, etc. I can do
this via the 'archive' element in the 'configuration' of the jar plugin,
but this doesn't leave an artifact for use outside of the JAR, such as
being used within the Eclipse IDE's PDE.
You could try using Maven's resource filtering. Place a skeleton manifest in your resource directory. Place in that any variables you want to reference: ${project.version} I believe is one. Then enable filtering on your resource directory, with the proper character encoding to be used. My thought is that Maven might filter your manifest and deposit it into the target/classes directory.

You might also be able to do this filtering and then make some assembly that grabs resources which you filter so that only the manifest is included; and Maven filters and deposits the manifest in some assembly output directory.

Not the best answers, but maybe you'll find something out.

Good luck.
Steev Coco.