wayne, thanks for your response.  now that i think about it, i changed the
maven-archetype pom in my local repo as you suggested in the thread below
because i was having the problem described there:

http://www.nabble.com/Archetype-installation-and-creation-of-the-app-problem-t1593239.html#a4340854

i believe my current problem is a result of that change, but i've thrashed
around a bit in the meantime so i can't be sure.  some of that thrashing
involved deleting my local repo and resynching (which i now realize probably
wasn't the best idea), so i can't do what you suggest.

any other suggestions?