Now, I have 20 or so POM's that are all taking a top level POM as the parent
shown below:

    <parent>
        <groupId>com.mycompay.apps</groupId>
        <artifactId>BaseApp</artifactId>
        <version>9.5-SNAPSHOT</version>
        <relativePath>../BaseApp</relativePath>
    </parent>

Now the question is - if we later on change the version of the BaseApp, we
will have to modify the <parent> section in each of my 20 POM's with the new
version number. Is there a way so that I can modify the version number in
only one place?

Again, we can do this in maven1 using <currentVersion> defined in parent
POM. But Maven2 removed this element. Please advise.

Thanks.