Hmm, I actually assumed you'd be able to set the basedir property on
the jar plugin, but I just tried it and apparently basedir is read
only.  It's the one that controls what directory the jar goes.  Since
its value comes from ${project.build.directory} that means you could
add
   <build>
       <directory>WEB-INF/lib</directory>
   </build>
to your pom, but that would put the classes directory and everything
else into there.  I'm going to have to defer to a more expert user of
maven on this one.

Charlie