Hi,

If you want to bootsrap log4j, you'll need to put it in the root of a
JAR file included in your EAR.

EAR is just an "artifacts container", i.e. it just contains librarries
(ejb, jar, etc). Adding single resources file is not forseen (even if
app server have custom solutions such as the APP-INF/classes with WLS)

HTH,
Stéphane