Thanks for your suggestions.

help:effective-pom gives the same error, "dependencies.dependency.version is
missing", as just trying to build. (say, mvn install).

I see what you are saying about something wrong with the <parent> section.
Other children have the same <parent> section as the problem child. I even
went so far as to erase the <parent> section in the ear's pom (which causes
the problem) and replacing it with the <parent> section from a different
child's pom. No dice.

I did try adding a <relativePath> entry to the <parent> section and that
didn't change a thing. There was a slight difference in what was printed in
the -X trace, but that was all.