This is all theory... Perhaps while writing the docs, someone involved
with Maven development thought it might be useful to have a
src/main/config directory and so it was included in docs, but since it
was never implemented in the code, it is not being used today.

Perhaps file a JIRA bug and request that references to this config
directory be removed if it is not actually being used, or ask for
clarification on the proper usage of the directory, etc.

Wayne

I've seen all the reference information on it as well however Maven 2.X
appears to completely ignore that directory...so I really don't
understand what its real purpose is.

So say I store application configuration files in there...now what?
Maven doesn't read them or treat it as a source directory. The directory
doesn't show up on the classpath so the application or test classes
can't read anything in it.  Packing doesn't package that dir so nothing
in it will end up in any of your jar files. Assemblies don't assemble
the dir so it won't end up in any of your assemblies. What else is
there?

Nothing in Maven seems to do anything with that directory so why is it a
standard directory?