>So either use a static version like 1.1 or bite the bullet. This is why we use
>SNAPSHOT only, because the version of the master POM is absolutely moot. If we
>release, we will have to change SNAPSHOT to the next >release version (e.g.
>"42") in all POMs of that are part of the release

For me this is the qestion.  Let's say we released some  internal libraries in
own release cycle and now I need to remember what projects uses these libraries
and change there versions for them in dependecies section MANUALLY. For example
if we used as dependency internal utils component in 50 projects then I need to
change the version 50 times!!!

Best regards,
                Juri.