I don't know the details of the eclipse plugin, but it sounds like a
bug in the maven-embedder in the 2.0.x series. I had the same problem
in the netbeans support. The 2.1-SNAPSHOT version have correct
behaviour. I'm shipping a snapshot of that in betbeans and it works.
bt the API of embedder changed, so it's not a simple issue with
replacing a jar..

Regards

Milos