Sounds like a valid usecase to me. In case nobody comes up with a solution
here i'ld suggest you file this in jira.

On 6/14/06, Richard S. Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Looking at the source code, it definitely does not appear possible to
install a file from a URL using install:install-file.

To me, this seems like it would be a useful feature and could be handled
uniformly if file: URLs were supported.

As it stands right now, if I want to install something into my local
repo, I need to download it and save it somewhere on my computer, then I
need to remember where I saved it and type that path into a maven
command to make another copy in my local repository.

It seems like it would be much more straightforward to just give the URL
I want to be downloaded and installed.

Perhaps there is another way to do this?

-> richard