I'm having problems deploying using the file:// protocol as described in the
Better Builds With Maven book.

The POM I'm using for a simple test project is as follows:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd";>
    <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
    <groupId>my.company</groupId>
    <artifactId>my-project3</artifactId>
    <packaging>jar</packaging>
    <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    <name>Maven Quick Start Archetype</name>
    <url>http://maven.apache.org</url>
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>junit</groupId>
            <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
            <version>3.8.1</version>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>
    <repositories>
        <repository>
            <id>internal</id>
            <name>Internal Repository</name>
            <url>http://my.server/repository</url>
        </repository>
    </repositories>
    <distributionManagement>
        <repository>
            <id>internal</id>
            <name>Internal Repository</name>
            <url>file://my.server/repository</url>
        </repository>
        <snapshotRepository>
            <id>internal</id>
            <name>Internal Repository</name>
            <url>file://my.server/repository</url>
        </snapshotRepository>
    </distributionManagement>
</project>

I've checked the URLs are correct and I have permission to create files.

But when I do a mvn deploy, the jar just gets uploaded to my local
repository.  The commandline info tells me that the file has been uploaded
to the remote server, but it just doesn't appear there.

I see this coming out on the commandline:

Uploading: file://my.server/repository/my/company/my-projec
t3/1.0-SNAPSHOT/my-project3-1.0-20060615.153308-1.jar
2K uploaded

But no file on the remote repos - just my local one.  Any ideas?  Should
this work at all?