I personally have not used the project file for this - but my project
has specifica requirements re UCM clearcase integration.

Also I am new to this myself so kind of finding things out as I go

-----Original Message-----
From: Davies, Andrew-A
Sent: 19 June 2006 12:56
To: 'Maven Users List'
Subject: RE: Change versions

Try using settings.xml

  <profiles>
    <profile>
      <id>your unique identifier</id>
      <properties>
        <some-version-number>1.0</some-version-number>
      </properties>
    </profile>
  </profiles>

  <activeProfiles>
    <activeProfile>some-version-number</activeProfile>
  </activeProfiles>

Then in your pom.xml

        <groupId>some-group</groupId>
        <version>${some-version-number}</version>
        <artifactId>some-artifact</artifactId>

Alternatively, you could create a profiles.xml containign that profile.
And the use mvn -P profilename <goal> Though there is a bug about
inheritance of profiles due to e fixed in 2.0.5 so will need to be in
all sub directories

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2157

HTH

Andy