I'm having some success ...

[The svn client problem from earlier dealt with the protocol, which needed
be 'https', and not 'http'. ]

I have the 'maven-native-plugin' built and installed in my local repository,
but compiling my simple c/c++ project gives

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] ------- ...
[INFO] Cannot find lifecycle mapping for packaging: 'exe'.
Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository:
org.apache.\
maven.lifecycle.mapping.LifecycleMappingexe. [sic]

I suspect that this problem is more a function of having built the plugin
locally and I still require an additional file in a
./resources/META-INF/maven/
directory somewhere.

Any ideas?

Brad