Could somebody post how I might copy an artifact to a flat directory during
the deploy phase? Would this need to call out to ant or is their a mojo in
maven that can achieve the same aim?

The rationale is to have a directory where jars can be run directly if their
dependencies are specified in the Classpath attribute in the manifest file.

With the current repository directory structure artifacts which include
classpath entries can't really be used 'in situ' as the directory structure
of the repository prevents artifacts from 'seeing' each other. Manually
copying the files to one directory fixes the problem but is a bit cludgy and
has to be rerun.

Also I guess there is a side question- is there a more elegant way of
achieving the same aim other than to put all artifacts into one juge
directory? I'm aware of jar-with-dependencies using the assembly plugin but
this seems like overkill.

Cheers,

A.