of course in your parent pom.xml you can happily use ${project.version}
to specify the dependencies on child modules which saves you worrying
about that part :)

I had problems with using ${project.version} as when the artifacts are
deployed to a snapshot repository the pom metadata is using the
resolved timestamped snapshot version and not just the latest snapshot
available.

I have continuum re-building the system hourly and since the parent
pom and modules are built individually by continuum I had to change
from ${project.version} in the parent pom dependency management
section to -SNAPSHOT and all started working as I expected.