On 7/3/06, Brad O'Hearne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But I still have a question here -- I noticed that in the exclusion,
there's no "version" element allowed. I happened to benefit here from
the fact that ehcache had actually been moved to net.sf.ehcache, so I
used that as the dependency groupId. But I don't quite understand this
-- what I am trying to exclude is not ehcache, but a particular version
of it. Why isn't a version supported for the exclusion?

You don't need a version number on an exclusion because you're always
trying to get rid of the entire thing.  If you just want a different
version, you simply declare a dependency on the version you want, and
Maven will choose the 'nearest' definition.

In this case, you *are* trying to completely exclude ehcache:ehcache
(groupId and artifactId).  As far as Maven is concerned,
ehcache:ehcache and net.sf.ehcache:ehcache are completely separate
dependencies.

It might be worth opening a MEV issue to get EHCache 1.1 relocated to
the new groupId.  That would make the exclusion unnecessary as Maven
will see both 1.1 and 1.2 as the same again.

--
Wendy