try turning on the remote debugging capability of your sevlet
container's jvm by adding the
   following argument on the java command line :

    -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE
-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=8030

   the jvm would block when passing these arguments, waiting for a
remote debugger to connect.
   in your eclipse, choose Run->Debug then select Remote Java
Application. click on the new button below
   while the Remote Java Application is selected. change the port to
8030 and on the common tab select the
   radio button under the display in favorite menu -> debug. the
projects debugging icon will now be displayed
   under the debug icon. make sure the project that you want to debug is
selected while you are doing this.

   if the deployed webapp is in sync with your webapp source then
stepping function would sync with the
   execution.

   the maven user list is not the best place to ask this. =) but here it
is anyway..hope this helps.

pete marvin