Thanks, guys for your responses.

But ... I think I was not understood correctly. Let me clarify a bit here.

The problem is not so much to separate layers into modules (it seems
that's what examples demonstrate), but how to break up a big web
application into smaller modules. The module's boundary is not that of
the layer (business, webapp, core, etc). Web application itself needs
to be broken onto smaller submodules. So core would have all the
templates, js and css files and will be a webapp on its own, the child
module would have concrete pages that utilize those templates and
styles and in combination with the core module would constitute
complete sub-application of a bigger app.

When I develop I would like to checkout just one module and a few
modules that this module depends on. Of course I would be able to
deploy this one small module (and all of its dependencies), but it
will not be the site itself, just one little portion. It also makes
creation of the new module easier. Just declare dependencies and
create a simple WAR structure.

When I am happy with the little module I worked on, I will want to
deploy it to production. This is when I will have to merge all the
configuration files (web.xml comes to mind) and directory structures
but only on creation of the WAR no need for physical merge on the
system someplace.

I am not sure if this made my question any clearer :-)