From: Eric Redmond [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 9:32 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: maven-scm-plugin goals question

As a user, I always want to _do_ something. Logging in is, inherently, a
null operation. Sure, it changes my state (from non-logged in to logged
in) but only insomuch as to do the action that I _really_ want to do
(such as, commit or checkout). The issue with ANT is that it is
procedural. It makes you take steps (login, checkout, logout). Maven is
not procedural, it is declarative. From that point of view, what good
does it do anyone to declare "log me in"? It is the steps _after_ this
operation that are fruitful, so this is what the goals focus on. To log
oneself in turns a declared operation into a procedure.

Consider the example goal:
  mvn scm:commit

versus the alternate proposal:
  mvn scm:login scm:commit

See how that becomes procedural? I'm no longer just declaring the action
I want to take (commit), but now instead am directing how to take the
action.

Thanks;
Eric

On 7/7/06, Sharma, Jaikumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Eric, I was not sure whether I should post this questions to
> maven users list or developer list.Though, to me it looks, more
> developer list question than user list.
>
> Is it not worthwhile to provide "login" as a seperate goal ? or there
> are
> > some good reasons to not to provide this ?
>
> What would be the value in a goal that logs in, but does not perform
> any actions?
>
> I do not believe that logging in into a system / repository is not an
> action, if this  would have been like that then what is meaning of
> security and why operating system providers (Microsoft , open source
> Linux to name a few) implemented this behaviour into their system ?
>
> Thanks , Jaikumar

- - - - - - - DISCLAIMER- - - - - - - -
Unless indicated otherwise, the information contained in this message is
privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above and others who have been specifically authorized to
receive it. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message and/or
attachments is strictly prohibited. The company accepts no liability for any
damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. Furthermore, the
company does not warrant a proper and complete transmission of this
information, nor does it accept liability for any delays. If you have
received this message in error, please contact the sender and delete the
message. Thank you.