I doesn't work for me either (Maven 2.0.4). Moreover, the site directories
are structured based on the POM iheritance, which is probably not intended.

I have the following hierarchy of parent POMS:

top-level-pom
    parent-ear-pom
    parent-web-pom

My multi-module project is structured this way:

|-module-EAR
|-----pom.xml (inherits from parent-ear-pom)
|-module-WEB
|-----pom.xml (inherits from parent-web-pom)
|- pom.xml (master POM - inherits from top-level-pom)

Now, when I run maven site from the directory where master POM is located,
the following site directory gets created:

<master POM artifact ID>
<parent-pom-ear artifact ID>
    <module-EAR artifact ID>
<parent-pom-web artifact ID>
    <module-WEB artifact ID>

Is this right? At least not consistent, since if it was based on inheritance
I would expect the following output:

<top-level-pom artifact ID>
    <master POM artifact ID>
<parent-pom-ear artifact ID>