I do try to avoid them, but I want to understand them, as they seem to
be used by the Maven plugins themselves quite often.

-Nathan

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Fay [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 9:35 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: [m2] version resolution

Not sure where exactly this is documented but I believe the order
would/should be:

1.0-alpha-1
1.0-RC1
1.0.0
1.1-alpha-1
1.1.0
1.2.0
2.1.10
10.0.0

At least, this is how I would expect it to work. I generally do not use
alpha and RC and instead use SNAPSHOT and full versions (1.1.2) instead.
This way, I always know exactly what I'm going to get. I'd encourage you
to do the same -- instead of embedding the alpha or RC in the version
number, I'd just include a note "this is RC1" somewhere relevant.

Wayne