Thanks for the tip Denis.

I'm working in Maven 2 and found an even easier way... warSourceExcludes was
exactly what i was looking for.

This is the relavant build entry in my pom.xml

            <plugin>
              <version>2.0</version>
              <configuration>

<warSourceExcludes>${prop.warSourceExcludes}</warSourceExcludes>
               </configuration>
             </plugin>

The propertty ${prop.warSourceExcludes} is defined depending on my
environement (development or production).