you can manually exclude the unwanted version.

<dependencies>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>group-a</groupId>
     <artifactId>artifact-a</artifactId>
     <version>1.0</version>
     <exclusions>
       <exclusion>
         <groupId>group-c</groupId>
         <artifactId>excluded-artifact</artifactId>
         <version>1.0</version>
       </exclusion>
     </exclusions>
   </dependency>
   <dependency>
     <groupId>group-c</groupId>
     <artifactId>excluded-artifact</artifactId>
     <version>1.1</version>
   </dependency>
 </dependencies>

you can find more infos:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html

hope it helps,
valerio

On 7/27/06, Satish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have the following dependecies in my POM
    - ecahce - 1.2
   - hibernate 3.1rc1

I have one of the package which depends on ecahce 1.2, but as part of
hibernate dependency, it downloads ecache1.1. There are some method
signatures change between ecache 1.1 and 1.2 and this results in the
compile
error as the end, i assume
ecache 1.1 is taking the precedence in the classpath.

any tips to resolve this.