Hello,

My group is working in an NFS mounted environment.  I would like to have
everyone running maven from a central location, with a centrally located
settings.xml file in the conf directory, rather than everyone having their own
settings.xml file in their $HOME/.m2 directories.

That way, if a change is made to the settings.xml file, it will propogate to
all people, rather than having to send out an email to each person telling them
to modify their $HOME/.m2/settings.xml file with the change.

My concern is that people may individually want to modify certain parts of the
settings.xml file for their specific projects (add variables, etc.) that may
not apply to other projects, or may have different values than for other
projects.

Now, my question:

If an individual has a settings.xml file in their $HOME/.m2   ** AND **   in
their $MAVEN_HOME/conf, does the .m2 version take precedence over the conf
version?  Does it "inherit" from the conf version?  If so, what fields are
inherited?

Thanks in advance!

Tom