1. You can always develop with IDE other than Eclipse, notepad for example !
But for plugins, Eclipse provide some very useful editors and tools.
With maven-eclipse-plugin, you can "mix" maven's concept of dependency managment and eclipse tools without effort.

You could create an eclipse plugin without eclipse using maven assembly.

2. the main interrest to have it as maven project is continious integration and nightly builds. the eclipse'w way is complex and you can just build plugins, and tests them. you cannot generate site like maven does.

Stéphane.

Milos Kleint a écrit :
I don't completely get  the use the maven-eclipse-plugin to build
eclipse plugins in maven.
that raises a few questions.
1. you cannot develop the plugin in any other IDE, only in eclipse itself?
2. why even bother having it as maven project?

do I miss something obvious?

Milos

On 8/4/06, Stéphane Bouchet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Barrie Treloar a écrit :
> On 7/18/06, Scott Goldstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> 1.      How do you write a pom to build and release an Eclipse RCP
>> application, including using an Eclipse "Product Configuration" to build
>> the final package?
>> 2.      How do you then create the Eclipse project from the pom?
>
> As Fabrizio has indicated, PDE support is limited at best.
>
> Here are some other links I have found.
>
> http://m2eclipse.codehaus.org/ The M2 Eclipse Plugin might have some
> stuff in it of use. I've yet to check. (The website is out of date and
> the source repository is not where the link indicates)
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FELIX/OSGi+plugin+for+maven+2
> An OSGi plugin which is not quite the same but probably close enough.
>
> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC11/geronimo-eclipse-plugin-faq.html
> Some stuff in Geronimo for building their Eclipse plugin.
>
> http://vyzivus.host.sk/maven2-build-plugin-howto.html
> http://euromath2.sourceforge.net/eplugin/team-list.html
>
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/pde-build-dev/msg00075.html
>
> http://mavenosgiplugin.berlios.de/ - A Maven 1.0 plugin
>
> http://mevenide.codehaus.org/maven-eclipse-plugin-plugin/ Looks like a
> Maven 1.0 plugin
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MECLIPSE-92 And maybe support for
> basic stuff in the eclipse plugin.
>

> I've seen a number of requests for this functionality fly past on the
> list.
> If effort is going to be spent addding these features then it would be
> good to pool the effort.
> The maven eclipse plugin feels like the correct spot.

Hi,

The current maven-eclipse-plugin is definitively the more accurate
plugin to begin with.

The current SNAPSHOT could generate the MANIFEST.MF file needed by any
eclipse plugin, but it would not generate plugin.xml.

there is some work in progress by somebody here in the list to make an
archetype for eclipse plugin.

So for compiling eclipse plugin, the work is almost done ( for me, it is
working ) .

What is missing today is :
- packaging eclipse plugin ( could be done with assembly )
- support for RCP packaging ( currently you cannot build eclipse RCP app
like eclipse does with its own process )
- a plugin to test eclipse plugin

the two last thing are done with eclipse's own stuff ( ant + headless
eclipse).

Stéphane.