You can just deploy it but have the assembly plugin run in the package phase.

The id of the assembly descriptor becomes the artifact classifier in case you want to use the one generated by the assembly.

Douglas Ferguson wrote:
I would like to deploy a zip file that is output from my assembly process.
Could I just treat this like a 3rd party deploy? Is there any reason to not
disable the POM creation?

I'd like to tie the assembly and deployment of the zip to the release of the
actual maven project?

Thanks,

Douglas

Douglas W. Ferguson