> From ... "copies the final package to the remote repository for sharing
> with other developers and projects" meaning the package (artifact) of a
> project

That's fine.  I would *love* to be able to make the artifact of a project an
existing jar file.  Instead I have to struggle with tricking maven into
thinking that it has built a jar file when it hasn't.  All I want is these
3rd party jars in a repo somewhere with a proper pom...

> You can specify a pom with either install:install-file or
> deploy:deploy-file. Check their mojo documentation. The difference is
> that with install:install-file, generatePom defaults to false whereas
> with deploy:deploy-file, it defaults to true.

...which means, not the pom that is autogenerated by deploy-file or
install-file - deploy-file allows me to specify a concrete pom.

I don't feel like I'm getting any further forward here.  Maven is not the
only game in town, and there will always be jar files that other people
produce.  It just isn't very easy to use them in a controlled environment,
within the maven framework.  OK I can write scripts, but the point is that I
want maven to do my build, and not to have to rely on other tools (that
might not be available according to the platform).