From: Douglas Ferguson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 11:19 AM
To: 'Maven Users List'
Subject: RE: Optional Goals & Dependencies

I was just reading those pages. Hopefully I can get it to do what I want.

The problem I see right now is that you can only do certain things within
the pom file.

For instance, I specifically need the developer to be able to designate the
version for dependencies.

Currently each client (there are hundreds) gets a custom build of the entire
application. In an attempt to make a step to something more sane, I want to
break this out into 2 steps, 1) platform build, 2) client build. The client
build would need to depend on the appropriate platform build.

My initial thought was that the client specific code & configs would all be
1 module, broken down by client. Each client would have properties
indicating the version of the platform to be dependent on, etc.

The only way I can think of doing is this is using system properties, since
dependencies must be defined the POM file and profiles can't define
properties that the POM file can read. BTW: What are those properties used
for?

If I did use system properties, is it possible to load properties into the
POM from a file? If not, it seems like my only answer it to provide a
wrapper script for mvn that passes parameters.