First, you might want to check which version of the assembly plugin you're
using. It should be in the debug output (-X for debug).

If you're running with the maven-assembly-plugin 2.2-SNAPSHOT, then I'd say
file a JIRA issue for it in http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY and
I'll try to get that fixed prior to the 2.2 release.

Thanks,

John