My project was using a modified version of the war plugin for a while. I decided that the best solution was to make the plugin another module in our project. This solution seemed easier than managing a release process for the modified plugin separately, or requiring team members to do something unusual like installing it themselves. We have since removed the plugin from our file tree because the released version now does what we need. It all went pretty smoothly.

You might find that making the modified plugin just another module in your project to be the best solution.

-Max

jp4 wrote:
I recently modified the maven-war-plugin source to accomodate some changes
that I needed to support axis2.  I submitted this code for inclusion into
the next version of the plugin, but until that time I need to distribute the
plugin to everyone on my development team.  I can install it into the local
repository and it works fine, but if I try to upload it to our development
repository (internally) I can't seem to get the plugin to update.  I have
included the development repository in the settings.xml and have tried using
2.0.1-SNAPSHOT as well as 2.0.2 versions.  I seem to get the same problem
listed below.  Can I disable the Super POM plugin repo?  Having each
developer install the plugin locally isn't really an option so I have to be
able to distribute this via our development repository.  I have also tried
using the explicit plugin version in our root POM file and I get the same
error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache.maven:maven-parent::1 for project:
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugins:pom:1 from the repository.
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.apache:apache::1 for project:
org.apache.maven:maven-parent:pom:1 from the repository.
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin: checking for
updates from devrepo
[DEBUG] Skipping disabled repository codehaus-snapshots
[INFO] artifact org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin: checking for
updates from central
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'867df7ba2a0c81782ac0fb14db5ccda5f85f5d42'; remote =
'3009ca8b79c340cc83543ea789f57b1ee0128cb6' - RETRYING
[WARNING] *** CHECKSUM FAILED - Checksum failed on download: local =
'867df7ba2a0c81782ac0fb14db5ccda5f85f5d42'; remote =
'3009ca8b79c340cc83543ea789f57b1ee0128cb6' - IGNORING
[DEBUG] maven-war-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
latest version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:pom:LATEST

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:pom:LATEST
[DEBUG] maven-war-plugin: using locally installed snapshot
[DEBUG] Artifact not found - using stub model: Unable to determine the
release version

  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:pom:RELEASE

[DEBUG] Using defaults for missing POM
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin:pom:RELEASE
[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin' does not exist
or no valid version could be found
[INFO]
[DEBUG] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-war-plugin' does not exist or no valid
version could be found
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1281)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1517)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.bindLifecycleForPackaging(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1011)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.constructLifecycleMappings(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:975)
        at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:453)

Thanks,
JP4