This page

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/examples/war-overlay.html

has information on this as relates directly to the war contents.

You might also want to look into the <scope> tag on your dependencies. I'm
not sure why you would need a jar to compile but not to run the code itself.
I can see how you would need a jar to compile and run tests but not need it
for your application code. Putting <scope>test</scope> on the dependency
would  indicate that.

-- Lee