Hi Olivier and thanks for your fast reply.

I need the validation to work with most tools and without any special
configuration/programming. Therefore the first solution, accessing the
schema in an archive, is not suitable.

The other solution seems suitable at first sight. But what about the
version information? After all, we use Maven also because of the central
artifact repository, in which artifacts are stored in a versioned manner.

Putting the schema files in the site, makes them unversioned entities
and this is not true. Schema files change from time to time and
backwards compatibility cannot be always preserved -- therefore we need
the versioning stuff.

Is it possible to write an M2 plugin to do the "directory" packaging?

Adrian.