Thanks!  I did try to do that for several days until I was able to get some
help from the retrotranslator developers.

It seemed that there were enough dependencies on other sandbox items that I
just couldn't get this approach to work.  So the developer said I needed to
include a pointer to the snapshot plugin repository.  Which I am very eager
to take out when and if retrotranslator is taken out of the sandbox.

Am I needing to trace all the transitive sandbox dependencies and install
them as well?  It seems that plugins get pulled from a different repository
by default, since they do seem to get their own POM entry.

Given the way things work, I probably won't ever point to the snapshot
plugin repository ever again!  I wasn't comfortable with it when the
developer recommended it, and now I know why it's not terribly functional
unless you don't plan to do a release.

       Harold