I had thought that I hold solved my issue with the parent pom.xml, but
in fact I did not.  I am stuck and I cannot proceed, because what I
thought was going to work did not.  Here is the situation.

<pom.xml>
        <artifact>b</artifact>
        <parent>a</parent>
</pom.xml>

<pom.xml>
        <artifact>a</artifact>
        <build>
                <plugins>
                        <plugin>
                                <!--execute something in
${build.output.directory}-->
                        </plugin>
                </plugins>
        </build>
</pom.xml>

The problem is that when -b- inherits -a-, the plugin execution inside
-a- gets executed on the ${build.out.directory} of -b-.  All I want to
do is just inherit the dependencies declared in a, I do not want to
inherit the executions elements.  Is this possible to do?  I tried
making -a- of type pom and creating a submodule to try to solve this,
but that did not help.  I would appreciate any help given in what seems
to me to be a very difficult problem.  Thanks.

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any
action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]