Wayne Fay wrote:
Is there any particular reason you're unable to create the Maven
artifact yourself and upload to JIRA? Or ask the Hibernate people to
please make a nice Maven bundle and post it themselves, if you're
unable/unwilling to do so?

Maven generally relies on people who need something (for their own
project) to actually create the bundle(s) and upload them to JIRA for
eventual uploading into the Maven repo. Or even better, the project
creates their own bundles and uploads them.

Wayne

I didn't want to make a debate out of this but I felt it was coming. I already have my own quick and dirty setup and I do create my own fixes when I need them (and I need them too often, some libs get posted quickly - like the hibernate core the other week, but other get forgotten forever). I have been through a rather nasty trial and failure to submit Rife once and the interaction I had just sucked and it wasn't a nice experience. I am not saying it's someones fault but I don't need the experience again. I realize the pom's I create might not pass the quality assurance so I thought I'd suggest the idea to the maven community and get someone more qualified interested (I think of myself as someone that leans on the strength of the community when I need help, is this wrong attitude?). I understand the "move your asses and help" argument that arises too often but this is not the case here, I'm just a content user but not quite happy to help any more in certain areas, but in others I believe I have helped like sending diffs for fixing documentation or just trying to swap ideas with the users in the community both on irc or the list, also I've blogged a bit trying to spread the gospel and trying to push it everywhere I work. So my original post was trying to raise an issue that if we as a community would get a working JEE5/JPA stack, that would help people adopt it sooner and also adopt maven along with it. I wasn't trying to get my homework done by someone else. The hibernate people have bitched about maven all the time (sorry to say that, but I as hibernate user have a right to bitch as well, it's a two way street), I have asked them on more occasions (irc and forum) to try and adopt maven or at least publish hibernate libs and tools, zilch. The same I have tried when I did the Rife lib but then I got into philosophical discussions on maven's concept of dependencies, the classifier issue that at the time wasn't clear (I had two opposing answers from Carlos and Zyl, whom does one listen? - better, more visible guidelines needed) etc etc. I believe our community suffers from these issues and I really don't know if we can help it. Perhaps a better human protocol on how to get libs in the repo? Perhaps some sort of a web page wizard that can create pom's automatically? We also could make use of rss feeds of with new releases, plugins and libs. Also the fact maven is so fragile when it builds doesn't help. I can understand it, but it doesn't help us. We are avoided as the bubonic plague when people want a deterministic build process. That way the people that should use maven and publish 100% correct pom's and libs don't use it to build their systems. What happened with the stories where projects were to be given access to upload their libs? Sorry for the outburst or if I'm out of line here, I'm still for maven it just needs to sort some quicks out. Also this discussion is getting off topic.
Srgjan