Wayne Fay wrote:
Feel free to look into it Srgjan and if it seems to allow
redistribution, open a JIRA ticket for it.

Wayne
I've asked on the MS msdn forums about it and a person answered that indeed the older driver had the restrictions on redistribution but the new one seems can be redistributed but it seems that the maven team should make a formal request. The guy also said he'd be glad to help clarify any licensing issues directly so I'm pointing you to the discussion:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/showpost.aspx?postid=777134&siteid=1
and here is the registration for the driver redistribution:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/ref/jdbc/redist/default.aspx
I believe someone from representing maven team (or the apache foundation) should read the license and if it's ok then perhaps we can redistribute the lib through our repository.
This is the EULA:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/ref/jdbc/redist/eula.aspx
Perhaps there are some issues like:
require distributors and external end users to agree to terms that protect it at least as much as this agreement; EXPORT RESTRICTIONS; others? Also, although we accept these terms, there is currently no way for the maven end users to accept the license as well.
What's your thoughts?

Srgjan