I had the same issue and wrote a simple plugin to actually read the
file and make it part of a profile's properties using the
Profile.setProperties(..) method.  You can either do that or transfer
the contents of the property file to your pom.xml using the syntax:

<properties>
 <myName>Raghurajan</myName>
</properties>

Zarar Siddiqi