Deploying an artifact with a classifier works fine with 2.2 of
maven-deploy-plugin. The artifact will be directly installed correctly.
Only installing an artifact works not in release verison 2.1 of
maven-install-plugin. You have to build the maven-install-plugin and the
corresponding archiva project yourself (see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MINSTALL-34).

Cheers,
Martin