Hello Rolf

You have to place the <configuration> element directly inside the
<plugin> element. Further pay attention that your plugin element is
defined inside "build/pluginManagement/plugins", else (if it is defined
inside "build/plugins") checkstyle will be executed on phase "verify"
(directly before phase "install") one more time. Due to issue
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1931 config made in pluginManagement
will not be directly reused in element <reporting>. You have to copy
your configuration for site generation! At best you use <properties>
(checkstyle.config.location and so only) to config the checkstyle-plugin
without adding a <configuration> section. For an example have a look at
http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/el4j/trunk/el4j/pom.xml?view=markup

Cheers,
Martin