Andreas,
Writing a plugin sounds like an interesting endeavor.  I'll try that this
weekend.  This appears cleaner to me in the long run since it will just be
another plugin execution.

Marco,
Since I need a short-term fix for this week's release, I think I'll use
your ant "xslt task" idea.  What execute phase should I set for this to
execute every time before the changes plugin is executed during the site
generation?

Thanks for responding so quickly,
-Nate