Hi,

forgive me if my question has already been answered, but I could not
find a suitable answer. I am a maven newbie and I try to convert a
custom-made build mechanism to maven with help from the book "Better
Builds with Maven".

I have a small app consisting of 4 modules, A, B, C and D. A, B and C
have been compiled and packaged fine, each module is packaged in a jar
file. D has no sources, it is just a jar file that contains all the
files from the A, B and C jar files.

$ mvn package

always tells me that the jar file of D is empty. I added this to D's pom.xml
<build>
   <plugins>
     <plugin>
        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
        <artifactId>dependency-maven-plugin</artifactId>
        <executions>
          <execution>
            <id>unpack</id>
            <phase>package</phase>
            <goals>
              <goal>unpack</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
                <artifactItems>
                   <artifactItem>
                     <groupId>com.abc.xyz</groupId>
                     <artifactId>A</artifactId>
                     <version>${project.version}</version>
                     <type>jar</type>
                   </artifactItem>
                   <artifactItem>
                     <groupId>com.abc.xyz</groupId>
                     <artifactId>B</artifactId>
                     <version>${project.version}</version>
                     <type>jar</type>
                   </artifactItem>
                   <artifactItem>
                     <groupId>com.abc.xyz</groupId>
                     <artifactId>C</artifactId>
                     <version>${project.version}</version>
                     <type>jar</type>
                   </artifactItem>
                 </artifactItems>
               <outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}</outputDirectory>
            </configuration>
          </execution>
        </executions>
      </plugin>
    </plugins>
  </build>

All the files are now under D's target dir, but no jar file is created.
Can somebody tell me, how to do that?
Do I have to use assemblies?

Thanks in advance

Mirko