I am setting up profiles for various different deploy-environments / customer sites and users, storing variables for use in filtering classpath and web resources.

The settings.xml that I edit extensively in m2-home/conf/ is currently not in source control and I want to ask where would be best to keep it.

It would be ideal if continuum checked out the latest copy from the scm each
time.

however the default location in the maven installation directory is out of continuum's reach. in fact unless I kept the settings.xml in each project, then continuum is never going to check out the latest version. So it seems to me that there is no automated solution.

Has anyone considered this and is there in fact a solution?

Regards
Adam