I've written a plugin that serves as a good utility in handling properties.
Given the many questions on this mailing list about handling properties for
different environments and I/O'ing them from files, I think this would help
in alleviating this problem.

It has three goals (for now):

1. read-project-properties: Given a set of property files in name=value
format, it reads them and stores them as project properties.  This would be
nice for those of us that store environment specific information in
different property files.

2. write-project-properties: Writes project properties to a given file.
Helpful when some properties need to be available at runtime (e.g.: Spring's
PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer)

3. write-active-profile-properties:  Writes the properties of any active
profiles to a file.

The above three are the use cases that I've encountered.  I'm sure there are
many more.

If there is any interest in such a plugin, do respond to this and I will
make a site for it and start the process of submitting a plugin to
org.codehaus.mojo.

Thank you.