I didn't write the docs, but I can share in your difficulties. I've
flailed around at times with maven, but it gets better as you stick with
it.

I like the scm approach better because maven is tempermental about
directory layout. Yes, you can modify that, but who knows what plugins
might make assumptions about things being in their default locations. Scm
just seems less risky to me.

If I'm understanding your motivation, is 'mvn clean' not satisfactory? It
deletes all the generated resources.

Greg Vaughn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

wrote:
> > I've never tried configuring maven to put generated files outside of
its
> > default location, but this link
> > http://maven.apache.org/ref/current/maven-model/maven.html#class_build
> > seems to imply it can by setting the <build><directory> element.
> >
> > I have setup both cvs and svn to ignore certain directories. Either
one
> > should work for you, but I'd recommend the scm approach. The details
will
> > depend on which scm tool you use.
> >
> > Greg Vaughn
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> > "solo turn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > 10/18/2006 03:56 PM
> > Please respond to
> > "Maven Users List" <users@maven.apache.org>

> > "Maven Developers List" <users@maven.apache.org>
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> > clear separation of source and target
> >

> > hi,
> >
> > is there an easy possibility to separate source code (which we write)
> > from generated things?
> >
> > we'd prefer to keep the directory where  the pom is to stay clean of
> > all built and generated things to use source code control systems like
> > mercurial or darcs on that tree.
> >
> > is it possible to do that by:
> >  * configuring maven to put generated files somewhere out of this
> > directory, or
> >  * configuring the source code control by excluding a directory resp a
> > fixed set of directories
> > ?
> >
> > -solo.

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with this
communication is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use of the
intended recipient, and is the property of Countrywide Financial Corporation or
its affiliates and subsidiaries.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use of the information contained in or transmitted
with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this
communication in error, please immediately return this communication to the
sender and delete the original message and any copy of it in your possession.