Hi. I'm struggling to understand how Maven manages its list of repositories.
If I take a repository out of the <repositories> section of my pom.xml,
Maven doesn't necessarily start using that repository. I'm using Maven 2.0.4

For example, I have a pom.xml for a project that depends on ActiveMQ. Right
now, it has no <repositories> block, so I expect Maven to use my local
repository and the central repo. Instead, I get this:

Error transferring file
  org.apache.activemq:activemq-web:jar:4.1-incubator-SNAPSHOT

from the specified remote repositories:
  apache.snapshots (http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository),
  apache.incubating.releases
(http://people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository)
Path to dependency:
        1) com.mycompany.myproject:basic-demo:jar:1.0-SNAPSHOT
        2) org.apache.activemq:apache-activemq:jar:4.1-incubator-SNAPSHOT
        3) org.apache.activemq:activemq-web:jar:4.1-incubator-SNAPSHOT

Caused by I/O exception: Server returned HTTP response code: 503 for URL:
http:/
/people.apache.org/repo/m2-incubating-repository/org/apache/activemq/activemq-we
b/4.1-incubator-SNAPSHOT/activemq-web-4.1-incubator-SNAPSHOT.jar

I know that people.apache.org is down, so I don't want to use it. The two
repositories there were once in my pom.xml's <repositories> section, but I
took them out because I wanted to avoid trying to hit that site. Can someone
explain why Maven keeps trying to use repositories after I remove them from
my pom.xml? Is there a way to make Maven stop using those repositories?

I've already checked that there is no mention of these repositories in my
settings.xml (local or global versions).

-Beth