The Apache-version of the plugin is a reporting-plugin. This means that it will generate its output during site generation. It also means that configuration should be in the <reporting> section of your pom. Please see:
  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-changes-plugin/usage.html

--
Dennis Lundberg

Pete wrote:
Help, I'm trying to switch from the old codehaus maven-changes-plugin
to the new org.apache.maven.plugins version.

Previously I had my pom configured to use the old plugin during the
compile phase, so that a changes-report.html could be nested inside
the web app's pages.

Now with the new plugin it doesn't seem to generate a report at all,
is there something about the new plugin which means it will only
generate during the 'site' goal ?

I've tried with and without a phase, and -X doesn't show any
configuration for the plugin happening at all  :-

    <plugin>
        <artifactId>maven-changes-plugin</artifactId>
        <version>2.0-beta-2-SNAPSHOT</version>
        <executions>
            <execution>
                <id>produce changes html page</id>

                <!-- <phase>compile</phase>    -->
                <inherited>false</inherited>
<configuration> <xmlPath>${project.build.outputDirectory}/changes/changes.xml</xmlPath>
                    <reportSets>
                        <reportSet>
                            <reports>
                                <report>changes-report</report>