Hi Fred!

If you are using eclipse, you will need to start maven
via the eclipse 'debug as Java Application'.

There are a few things to consider (example is based
on my linux installation in /opt/apache/maven):

1.) You have to add the maven boot jars to the
classpath (all jars from /opt/apache/maven/core)

2.) Set the main class to
'org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher'
and select 'Include libraries when searching for main
class'

3.) set the proper program arguments. e.g.: clean
package

4.) set the VM arguments:
-Dclassworlds.conf=/opt/apache/maven/bin/m2.conf
-Dmaven.home=/opt/apache/maven/

5.) Set the working directory to the directory where
your example project resides. With other words, the
location of the pom you like to execute while
debugging.

6.) Set the plugin you like to debug as project for
the debugging session. This way, the classes will be
taken from the local build rather then the artifact
from the repository.

oki, that should be all.

hope this helps.

lg,